Monday, April 30, 2012

It's ON!!! 2 5K's Next Month...

Have you ever heard the theory that if it's really important for you to do something, something else will always try to get in the way? Well, that's how it's been trying to schedule and keep scheduled our first family 5K. First, I was excited and even my husband was excited about particiapting. Seriously! :) Then life happened and schedule conflicts came up, it looks like it's going to rain and there are a few projects that have to get done this weekend.

But I AM STILL RUNNING! Why? Probably because a couple weeks ago, I learned that a friend of mine's mother has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. Hearing her sadness and fear in that short email touched my heart. I would feel lame sitting this one out when I could add a little help towards helping find a cure for this condition that effects so many...
Did you know that:
•T1D is an autoimmune disease that comes on suddenly and strikes both children and adults at any age?
•T1D has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle?
•Those living with T1D must carefully balance insulin doses with eating and daily activities throughout the day and night?
•Those living with T1D must test their blood sugar by pricking their fingers for blood 6 or more times a day?
So PLEASE check out http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/evamelissabarnett and donate (even your extra change, your savings, or something in the middle :)) to help fight diabetes!

On a side note, I also believe things happen for a reason. Since we aren't doing the 5K together this weekend, that frees us up to particiapte in a local 5K called the Angel Walk. This event is being held for a second grader at Sophia's elementary school who has cerebral palsy. You can read more about the event here on page 18 of the Idaho Press Tribune. I also noticed that there happens to be an interesting article on diabetes on page 15...SO check out this link!

If you can donate toward's our family goal of $100 for this cause too please email or message me.

I ran my first and last 5K over 4 years ago. I think I stopped partly because I ran alone and hadn't signed up for one that had a cause that mattered to me. Well, families matter to me. Health matters to me. Supporting those who are struggling matters to me. If they matter to you too please donate as much as you can! Again, here is my Walk to Cure Diabetes link http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/evamelissabarnett or you can donate toward our family's 5K walk on the 16th for another family's welfare, by contacting me. Thanks and make it a great day!!! -Eva

No comments: